November 6, 2008

Colorblind!

Call me what you will, but I was so colorblind before the election that it really hit me off guard when watching Oprah yesterday afternoon I realized how the election of candidate Obama had turned into a "whole 'nother thing!"

Yes, I was alive, a little child, during the civil rights movement. My mother had to explain to me what "colored" toilet and "colored" drinking fountain was! For all I knew I'd prefer the "colored fountain" as it might just shoot out red Kool-Ade!

I was ashamed of how black people were treated, not by my family, as I was taught that each person has dignity and value because they are created in the image of God.

Yes, we had black people help us out around the house but they were the ones who wanted the work and we paid them cash money! My mom was good to them, she fed them, she took them home and picked them up. Whatever needed to be done.

I'm a WASP, when I dated a Puerto Rican guy in my teens my mom's housekeeper, Josie, went off on me! White girls can't date Puerto Rican's! Why?

I didn't and still don't think that president elect Obama has the experience to lead this country. Where did he come from anyway? Oh yeah, Chicago!

I'm glad that people of color can excel in this country! I'm glad that I don't have to feel ashamed of the way most white people treat blacks. I'm not even sure what the PC term for that skin tone is anymore!

I did what I could, I voted.

Once again I will say that I am happily sitting here in my own little world exercising free speech. I'm glad that my TV has an on/off switch too!

Cracker=The term used for a Florida native. Cracker is the sound of cracking whips of cowboys herding cattle. It's not derogatory
!

1 comment:

Marelle said...

Hi Jan
love you
xxxhugs
Marelle